179 Northern Road, Narellan, NSW 2567
Part Lot 7, DP 270613
|Orielton Homestead c2000 (CamdenAdvertiser)|
History and Description
Edward Lord was granted 655.5 hectares in the Parish of Narellan that he then named Orielton Park in about 1815.
In 1834 Orielton was noted in letters written by David Waugh as being a productive farm. By 1835, 93 hectares of Orielton Estate was amalgamated with the neighbouring Wivenhoe.
In 1847 it was purchased by John Perry who later subdivided a portion of the estate and leased the main property to Charles Thompson, Clerk of the Bench to Camden Court. During the whole of this early period the estate seems to have been used mainly for grazing, with some limited agriculture.
In 1863 Abraham Davy of Harrington Park purchased Lot 1 of Orielton Farm (24 hectares) from three Sydney businessmen who had earlier purchased the estate - John Lait of Sydney, James Ryan of Emu Plains and James Jones of Sydney.
During the early 1870s the sport of coursing (the pursuit of live hares by greyhounds across the countryside) was introduced to Orielton which became a popular activity at both the Orielton and Harrington Park estates. By the 1870s Harrington Park House had established a reputation as a gentleman's country seat, with "hospitality, picturesqueness and the hunt bringing interesting associations to the English eye".
In 1874, Harrington Park and Lot 1 of Orielton was purchased by William Rudd Snr, a grazier of Houtong Station in the Lower Murrumbidgee who changed the perceptions of Orielton and Harrington Park as a "gentleman's seat" to that of a graziers property. Rudd also gained control of the remaining parts of Orielton estate. Harrington Park and Orielton remained within the Rudd and Britton (descendant) families until 1933 when it was sold to Arthur and Elaine Swan. By 1938 the Swans has also purchased all the remaining parts of Orielton, and managed the two farms as a single entity.
During World War Two the Camden district was the scene of much military activity, and Orielton was occupied by the army for training and residential purposes. Since 1944 Orielton has been owned by the Fairfax family who also own nearby Harrington Park. The Fairfax family resided at Harrington Park, and Orielton was managed as part of the Harrington Park estate. The subdivision of Harrington Park in the 1990s for urban development has visually encroached upon Orielton estate, although the original grant and its management for grazing can still be understood in the broader landscape of the Narellan valley.
Homestead Group and entry drive:
The main homestead group focuses on the east and south with open rural land as its traditional address. The existing entry to Orielton follows the Old Northern Road easement in a north south direction curving sharply to the north west. At this point the drive is bordered by old pines and to the south is Narellan Creek. Towards the homestead group is evidence of previous hedges and remnant gardens formalised to the south. Located west of the main homestead is a dam. An old well structure remains near the top of the north ridge.
The homestead consists of an early building with a large complex of additions. To the east of the main house is the stables and horse agistment area. To the north of the stables is evidence of an earlier garden or entry that orientates to the east. (State Heritage Inventory)
Former use was a farming estate, while current usages is a residence.
Condition and Use
Orielton is rare as a relatively intact estate with its main homestead group still in its traditional rural context. (State Heritage Inventory)
Orielton: outline of significance:
- It still retains its quintessential landscape character - based on the traditional juxtaposition of homestead area, with its dominant garden, and cleared pastureland beyond;
- Its historical relationship to other nearby early grants (Harrington Park, Wivenhoe and Kirkham) and its place in the development of the local area can still be appreciated;
- It has associations with some notable people;
- The place retains its historical local prominence and serves as an important local landmark; (State Heritage Inventory)
Camden Local Environment Plan No 48
State Heritage Register No 01693
Read more on Orielton Homestead Click here
Camden Heritage List Click here